Richey Suncoast Theatre is a historic former movie theatre built in 1925 and later restored for use as a playhouse and community theatre in New Port Richey, Florida. It is named for silent film star Thomas Meighan and opened as the Meighan Theatre on July 1, 1926 with a screening of Meighan's movie The New Klondike. Meighan himself was not present but sent a congratulatory telegram.
In 1930 sound was added to the theatre. Meighan himself appeared to push the start button for the sound. The theatre closed in 1934 due to the Great Depression. It reopened in 1938 under the name The New Port Richey Theatre.
Meighan's interest in Florida developed after talks with his Realtor brother James E. Meighan. In 1927, he built a home in New Port Richey, Florida where he spent his winters. He intended to shoot his film We're All Gamblers there, however, filming was moved to Miami. The Meighans also hoped to draw other celebrities to the area. Meighan had a vision for New Port Richey to be an eastern U.S. version of Hollywood. This plan failed as the property boom in Florida busted in the 1920s and the 1929 stock market crash set off the period known as the Great Depression.
In 1972 the theater re-opened as a community theater featuring live productions under the name Richey Suncoast Theatre. The first production was Fiddler On the Roof in September 1972.
Richey Suncoast Theatre is a 501(c)3 non profit. We rely on the generous donations from our supportive community and local businesses. Sponsorships help our theatre provide quality entertainment and educational programs. Contributions help pay for show licensing, scripts, set materials, sound and lighting equipment, specialty props, costume and theatre repairs. Donations are tax-deductible.
All sponsorships include two season ticket memberships. Please call the box office or email us for more information on how you can help.
©Copyright 2019 Richey Suncoast Theatre - Web design by Longman Computers